- Beauty Salons & Hairstylists
- Health & Wellness
- Child Care
- Computer Repair
- Building Contractors
- Dry Cleaning & Alteration
- Golf Courses
- Health Spas
- Home Appraisal
- Real Estate Agents
- Real Estate
- Window Cleaning
- Thrift Stores
- Interior Design
- Book Stores
- Martial Arts
- Movie Rental
- Grocery Stores
- Party Planning
- Home Repairs
If you're looking to buy a home in Glencoe, you should seriously check out our fast, free home search tool: Suburban Chicago Home & Real Estate Search.
Village of Glencoe, 675 Village Court, Glencoe, IL 60022
Phone: (847) 835-4114
Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday-Friday
Glencoe has been labeled favorite place to live among the North Shore communities of Chicago land. The village was named by its founder, Walter Gurnee, as a combination of his wife's maiden name. The village has retained its rural charm and strives to protect the surrounding environment. The neighborhoods look like neighborhoods, not subdivisions. There are tree-lined streets and the houses come in an assortment of styles, including several built by Frank Lloyd Wright. Village leaders maintain the community with a focus on providing a beautiful place to live while preserving the natural beauty of the area. In 2005, Chicago Magazine ranked Glencoe as the number one healthiest town with a population under ten thousand.
Glencoe's nearly 9,000 residents shop in a business district that reflects the small town feel of days gone by. The stores aren't located in a mall type layout, but rather along the main streets of the downtown section of the village. There are around 80 different shops, some that have been handed down for generations, as well as many more modern high end retailers. Residents of Glencoe can buy home accessories and gifts at Mermaid Moon or Glen Cote Thrift Shop. Olsky Jewelers is the oldest jeweler in the village and offers repair services and goldsmith services. Anne Loucks Gallery contains a selection of European and Contemporary American paintings. The list goes on and Glencoe has truly has something for nearly every shopper.
In keeping with the natural setting, Glencoe offers a number of spring and summer events for residents and visitors. The Chicago Botanic Garden is the location of many of these events. The Garden is made up of more than 20 individual gardens spanning 385 acres on what was swampy marshland. Almost a hundred years of development created the Garden, and now the site is a major attraction in the area.
- From May 12th through October 28th from 10:00AM to 5:00PM, the Chicago Botanic Garden's Model Railroad Garden: Landmarks of America exhibit will be on display. View 15 garden scale model trains that wind across scenes depicted from well known spots such as Yellowstone National Park. The admission is free.
- The Chicago Botanic Garden's "Great Chef Series" will take place from May 26th to October 7th, on Saturday and Sunday from 1:30PM to 2:30PM. The admission is free to watch as trained chefs demonstrate how to make fantastic meals.
- On June 2nd from 12:00PM to 8:00PM and 3rd from 12:00PM to 6:00PM, The Chicago Botanic Garden Wine Festival will take place. Organizers have gathered over 40 vendors to exhibit over 200 different international and domestic wines. Tickets are $25.00 in advance and $30.00 at the door. This includes a complimentary wine glass and tasting. There will also be chefs from Chicago presenting cooking tips, musical entertainment and refreshments for sale including soft drinks or beer. Proceeds will go to the Botanic Garden.
- The annual Strawberry Social sponsored by the Glencoe Historical Society will happen on June 3rd from 2:00PM to 4:00PM at the Garden. Strawberry shortcake, whipped cream and punch will be served. Donations benefit the Eklund Garden.
- On June 10the at noon The Glencoe Historical Society and the Writers' Theater will host a Lunch With Othello at the Eklund Garden. Lunch will be a Moroccan meal followed by a performance of Othello. Tickets for both events are $65.00 but for lunch only the cost is $25.00.
- The Second Annual Glencoe Historical Society Garden Party is scheduled for July 21st at 6:30PM in Eklund Garden. Guests are encouraged to attend in "garden attire" and will be served food and beverages, listen to music and see a new exhibit titled "Life's a Beach so Dive Right In!" the exhibit features photographs of Glencoe beach from over the years and as well as past beach outfits and beach clothing traditions from the past.
- The Glencoe Public Library will hold its annual Used Book Sale on June 23rd through the 25th. The hours on the 23rd are from 9:00AM to 5:00PM. On the 24th hours of the sale are from 1:00PM to 5:00Pm and books will be half priced. On the 25th, the final day of the sale, books will be sold for $2.00 per bag. All proceeds from the book sale will benefit the Glencoe Public Library.
From strawberries to trains, Glencoe has a wide assortment of summertime events planned this year. So whether you wear a garden hat or engineer’s cap, it’s going to be a busy year.